Choosing the Right Water Damage Restoration Service
If you have decided to use a local water damage restoration service, there are a number of important points that you need to consider:
- Expertise – Make sure that your water damage camarillo restoration service provider employs people who are appropriately qualified to do the job. There is a lengthy training requirement in this industry that ensures contractor have the right level of expertise, such as knowing if your dining table can be restored. Ask to see copies of their qualifications and any insurance documents that they should have. Ask for references and contact numbers for customers they have recently completed work for and give them a call. You want to be sure that you are getting the best service for your money. Even if the contractor has been appointed by your insurer, go through the checks anyway.
- Plan – Ask to see their schedule of works and make sure that you understand the process and how long each stage will take. If it’s your home that’s being worked on, you may need to find alternative accommodation for a period so you will absolutely want to know how long you will be inconvenienced for.
- Speed – As I’ve said before, speed is the key. You want to be sure that the water damage camarillo restoration service provider can get resources on the job quickly, both in terms of manpower and equipment. You want this water out of your property and the drying process underway as quickly as possible.
- Communication – you need to agree who your point of contact will be throughout the process and this should be one named person. Not a call centre or “someone in the work department will be able to help you.” but one person who have responsibility for your project and communication its’ progress with you.
- Location – where is your contractor based? A local contractor would be better than a national one. You want to have the security of knowing that if anything is not working out as it should, that you can get in your car a see someone face to face in their offices.
- Equipment – Do they have the right equipment to do the best you and more importantly, are they using that equipment on your job. What you don’t necessarily want to hear is, “We normally just leave the window open and let it dry out naturally.” No. You want whatever drying equipment they have to get the job done quickly and thoroughly.
- Hidden Costs – Make sure you have a tight grip on all the ancillary expenses that will undoubtedly arise. If there is a dehumidifier running all day and night, this will rack up your utility charges. Are there accommodation bills to pay or other expenses. Have a conversation with your insurer and be very clear on what they will and will not cover. Also be sure to keep a record of all expenditure and copies of the receipts.
- Insurance – Your water damage restoration service contractor will deal with much of the communication with your insurers for you but don’t delegate fully that responsibility. You need to be informed and fully aware of what is being agreed between them. Make sure that in no way the claim can be invalidated because of someone else’s actions or the correct information not being provided. Discuss the insurance process with the contractor to ensure that they have the right skill sets to make this part of the process smooth and efficient. Make sure your insurers have what they need to process the claim.
- Safety – Safety first at all times. What are your contractor’s safe working procedures. Given that you will be on site to check the progress of the works, how are they going to ensure your safety? This is a good measure of the professionalism of the team in place. Are they wearing the appropriate safety and protective gear like hard, goggles and masks. Will they provide them to you when you visit? Have they made safe the electrics? Is the ceiling or wall in danger of collapse and if so, what are they doing about it?
It’s important for you to be proactive in monitoring progress so ask questions and get answers. It’s your property after all.
If you want to see us in person, you can come to one of our yearly events, were we will showcase our methods and technology in the Alusett Booth no 27.